Monday, July 7, 2008

Ballerina Princess Dresses

I wanted to make some beautiful pink and white dresses to have my girls pictures taken in after baby Isabella is born. I came up with the idea of using white and then having a embroidered organza overlay with some pink flowers. Unfortunately when we got to the fabric store there wasn't a embroidered organza with pink flowers to be found. So Stephanie came up with the idea of using tulle instead. At first I was skeptical because I really had a clear idea in my head of what the dresses should like. I thought it over and decided to go for the tulle and boy am I sure glad I did! I'm so happy with the tulle, I'm actually glad they didn't have an embroidered organza.

The patterns for these dresses were pretty simple but the construction of them turned out to be anything but easy. Just a simple dress with puffed sleeves and a gathered skirt with a tulle overlay, no problem, wrong! To start with the bodice is made out of silk so that right off the bat was a bit nerve wracking to work with. It turned out to be a pretty easy fabric to cut and sew but I didn't want to make a single mistake as it's not a cheap fabric. The most difficult part by far was working with the tulle. Tulle is nice because you don't have to hem it or worry about it fraying, however it is not fun to cut, pin or sew. It doesn't line up very easy at all and you have to fight it every step of the way. The pinning and gathering the tulle skirts turned out to be the most time consuming and stressful part of the whole project.

It was worth it though! Just look at these dresses they turned out just beautiful! I added some sparkles to the tulle to add that extra little touch.

I think they really are perfectly uber girly Ballerina Princess Dresses!

Kaitlin's Dress:

Isabella's Dress:


  1. PERFECT! Just what I envisioned. I can't believe how cute those sparkles look! Wow talk about the perfect touch. They really did turn out amamzing. A Freaking Mazing!

  2. So pretty! and lol You did a beautiful job!